Position Title: Support Assistant
Hours of duty: 35 Waking hours plus 5 sleep in shifts
Tue 17:00 – 23:00 plus sleep in 23:00 – 08:00
Wed 08:00 – 09:00 morning handover
Wed 17:00 – 23:00 plus sleep in 23:00 – 08:00
Thu 08:00 – 09:00 morning handover
Thu 17:00 – 23:00 plus sleep in 23:00 – 08:00
Fri 08:00 – 09:00 morning handover
Fri 17:00 – 23:00 plus sleep in 23:00 – 08:00
Sat 08:00 – 09:00 morning handover
Sat 17:00 – 23:00 plus sleep in 23:00 – 08:00
Sun 08:00 – 09:00 morning handover
Salary: *£32,006.00 per annum
*(Waking Hours@ £10.90 per hour & Sleep in shifts @ £46.80 per night)
To apply for this role please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure your covering letter clearly demonstrates your expertise and how you meet the role requirements. This should be a minimum of 500 words and not exceed 2 pages.
Falcon Support Services provides supported accommodation and community projects to those that are homeless, at risk of homelessness, or vulnerable in the community.
Our service helps vulnerable people by providing safe and secure accommodation with our staff working alongside clients to help them develop their skills, so they can move away from homelessness to living independently and positively contribute to their community.
Providing support to the organisation's residents, alongside their Support Worker, this role will be empowering the service users to make positive changes and informed choices.
The role is challenging and rewarding with opportunities to learn, grow, and develop within Falcon Support Services. In this varied role, you will:
- Provide high-quality accommodation, housing management and support to homeless people.
- Empower clients to make positive changes and informed choices in moving towards independence.
- Work with clients on a mutually agreed support plan/programme to achieve positive outcomes.
- You must have a genuine interest in helping people to make changes in their lives and an understanding of the types of issues that affect those that are homeless, as well as a dedication to Falcon Support Services values and performance standards.
- Falcon Support Services is equipped to train and support people who do not have relevant skills and experience but do have the right values, behaviours, and attitudes.
To assist with the daily operations of the project ensuring services are delivered efficiently.
- To communicate effectively and appropriately with clients, staff, other organisations and members of the public using and/or working with our organisation.
- Carry out the practical tasks required of the job being continuously aware of any risks presented by the working environment and consistently acting in a way to minimise these risks
- Controlling and recording access to and from the building, following the booking in and welcoming procedures
- Completing relevant monitoring for the service, including monitoring and responding to rent arrears and collection of weekly personal charge/service charge
- Assistance in applying for eligible benefits including Housing/Council Tax Benefits
- Encouraging, promoting, and providing service user involvement in education, training and employment, positive activities and volunteering.
- Effectively implement Support plans/Risk Assessments and Needs Assessments
- To work with staff and clients to develop and follow clients' support plans. This will include liaising with outside agencies for the benefit of the client.
- To provide appropriate advice on current applications for homeless assistance, council accommodation and housing association accommodation.
- To be alert to the health and well-being of all clients, reporting any concerns to the Accommodation Manager and/or appropriate agencies
- To undertake/attend any training and/or meetings as required by the job role.
- To promote a positive image of Falcon Support Services, working as part of an integrated team.
- To complete and provide any documentation, reports, statistics, and any other information required by Falcon Support Services and/or any other agency.=
- To effectively use IT systems to maintain precise and accurate documentation in line with Falcon Support Services procedures, including client files and entries into the program databases/risk logs.
- Ensure that all support plan actions, and risk assessments/risk management plans are completed and up to date, and then reviewed monthly at staff 1-2-1’s.
- To be responsible for the development, and implementation of procedures and codes of working practice to form part of a comprehensive quality approach to service delivery.
- respond to telephone enquiries, correspondence, and callers to the service
Compliance / Health and Safety
- To adhere to all Falcon Support Services policies and procedures as well as any specific local procedures.
- Report concerns appropriately, such as adult and child safeguarding issues and substantial risk.
- Ensure that routine inspection of the premises is carried out and to reporting any damages, property maintenance issues, repairs and H&S to the Accommodation Manager or Maintenance.
- Where appropriate, ensure that the terms of license agreements are adhered to and address any problems arising from this requirement.
- Ensure that all required documentation is completed and actioned for new clients moving into the project in particular housing benefit applications/risk assessments/ needs assessments
- Every employee has a responsibility to ensure that their work complies with the Financial Regulations of the charity.
- Due to the nature of work, this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and will therefore require you to disclose all criminal convictions and comply with a Criminal Records Bureau check.
- To develop Falcon Support Services commitment to equal opportunities and to promote non-discriminatory practices in all aspects of work undertaken.
- All employees are required by Section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work Act to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
- To work cooperatively with other members of the team, constructively contributing to team meetings, covering office duty, and assisting with the smooth running of the service.
- Show willingness to assist and cover for colleagues when they are absent.
- Mentor and support students and/or volunteers in the service.
- To effectively work with a range of multi-disciplinary partners, support providers and funders in both the statutory and voluntary sectors.
- This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list but to indicate the main responsibilities of the post, such additional duties may be undertaken which are reasonably commensurate with the level of the post. It will be reviewed periodically to consider changes and developments in service requirements. Any changes will be discussed fully with the jobholder.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Understand the needs of people who are homeless, have drug, alcohol, behavioural or mental health issues
- Experience in empowering individuals to make informed choices/positive change
- Ability to work in a customer care and quality-focused manner
- Ability to deal with difficult situations, aggressive behaviours, and handle conflict appropriately
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Effective time management and organisational skills
- Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Be physically able to respond quickly and effectively in emergency situations
- The ability to undertake general housekeeping tasks
- A strong and demonstratable commitment to promoting Falcon Support Services approach to equality and diversity in all work undertaken
- Must be over the age of 18
- Willingness to undergo a satisfactory enhanced DBS check
Why Work for us:
- 28 days holiday (inc bank holidays) rising to 33 days from 01.01.23
- Birthday Leave - You will never have to work on your Birthday again with an additional day's Birthday leave
- Comprehensive Induction Training Package
- Staff Employee Assistance Programme
- Our Family Flex Scheme (Hours amended to ensure you don’t miss out on the important key family events; the first day of school, sports days, nativity plays etc)
- Quarterly full-staff team meetings
- Christmas Savings Club
- Staff Wellbeing drop-in sessions
- Making a difference to people in need
- Varied work where no day is the same