Position Title: Hostel Night Worker
Hours of duty: 20:00 – 08:00.
48 hours over 4 days on a 4 on / 4 off rota system
Salary £10.95 per hour £23,980.50 per annum
Contract type: Fixed term until 31 March 2025
To apply for this role please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure your cover letter clearly demonstrates your expertise and how you meet the role requirements. This should be a minimum of 500 words and not exceed 2 pages.
Falcon Support Services provides supported accommodation and community projects to those that are homeless, at risk of homelessness, or vulnerable in the community.
Our service helps vulnerable people by providing safe and secure accommodation with our staff working alongside clients to help them develop their skills, so they can move away from homelessness to living independently and positively contribute to their community.
Maintain and protect the security and safety of our premises and service users.
You will provide overnight waking cover to Falcon Support Services which includes supporting adults with complex needs who may be experiencing a range of problems such as:
- Substance Misuse
- Mental Health
- Fleeing domestic violence
- Ex offending
You must have a genuine interest in helping people to make changes in their lives and an understanding of the types of issues that affect those that are homeless, as well as a dedication to Falcon Support Services values and performance standards.
Falcon Support Services are equipped to train and support people who do not have relevant skills and experience but do have the right values, behaviours, and attitudes.
To maintain and protect the security and safety of the premises.
To control access and have a visible presence across the premises, providing support to residents, visitors, and staff in a professional and friendly manner.
To be first point of call when dealing with emergencies, e.g., fire, medical, police, etc. and to manage such emergencies appropriately including liaising with the police and other agencies.
Reporting and logging issues relating to the personal security, welfare, and safety of residents appropriately.
Watch surveillance, monitoring CCTV/Control room to identify any incidents and take prompt and appropriate action.
Storing footage, ensuring compliance with the CCTV Policy and audit trail.
Reporting breaches of security and damage to the fabric of the building to the appropriate authority and staff and calling ‘approved’ contractors to cover emergency repairs to maintain security and safety of the building where required.
Tackle any nuisance caused by residents’ behaviour or their visitors, including the consequences of continuing with anti-social behaviour.
Regular patrols of the sites as required.
Property Management/Health and Safety
- To take responsibility for completing all required checklists including H&S documents within the timeframe as directed by the Accommodation Manager. Ensuring Health and Safety checks are completed, including Building Checks, Fire Checks and Water Temperature checks.
- Ensuring high standards of cleanliness are maintained throughout the building. Inspections and light cleaning duties may be required.
- Report and sign off any maintenance works.
- Conduct welfare checks as specified during the shift
Ensure all incidents are logged and managed effectively through to completion
- Maintaining manual and computerised records
- Answering telephone calls, transferring callers, and taking messages as required.
- To take responsibility for continuous improvement in service delivery and working practices
- To adhere to Falcon Support Services policies and procedures as well as any specific local procedures.
- To promote a positive image of Falcon Support Services, working as part of an integrated team.
- To undertake any additional tasks and/or duties as deemed necessary in order to meet the requirements of funders, partner agencies or any other such organisations.
- To work in a psychologically informed way, including attendance of reflective practices.
- To undertake/attend any training and/or meetings as required by the job role.
- Due to the nature of work, this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and will therefore require you to disclose all criminal convictions and comply with a DBS check.
- To develop Falcon Support Services commitment to equal opportunities and to promote non-discriminatory practices in all aspects of work undertaken.
- All employees are required by Section 7 of the Health and Safety at Work Act to take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by their acts or omissions.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list but to indicate the main responsibilities of the post, such additional duties may be undertaken which are reasonably commensurate with the level of post. It will be reviewed periodically to consider changes and developments in service requirements.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills:
- Ability to work in a customer care and quality focused manner
- Ability to deal with difficult situations, aggressive behaviours, and handle conflict appropriately
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective time management and organisational skills
- Good literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- Be able to work alone with minimum supervision
- Experience in working and engaging as part of a team
- Be physically able to respond quickly and effectively in emergency situations
- The ability to undertake general housekeeping tasks in line with job description
- The ability to understand the needs of people from diverse, cultural, social and racial backgrounds.
- Understand the needs of people who have drug, alcohol, behavioural or mental health issues
- Experience of working in a residential / hostel environment
- Experience of handling confidential information in line with data protection requirements
- A strong and demonstratable commitment to promoting Falcon Support Services approach to equality and diversity in all work undertaken
- Must be over the age of 18
- Willingness to undergo a satisfactory enhanced DBS check
- Have access to a vehicle for business purposes
- Hold a valid driving licence
- Have business car insurance
Why Work for us:
- 20 days holiday (inc bank holidays) rising to 24 days from 01.01.23
- Birthday Leave - You will never have to work on your Birthday again with an additional day's Birthday leave
- Comprehensive Induction Training Package
- Staff Employee Assistance Programme
- Our Family Flex Scheme (Hours amended to ensure you don’t miss out on the important key family events; the first day of school, sports days, nativity plays etc)
- Quarterly full-staff team meetings
- Christmas Savings Club
- Staff Wellbeing drop-in sessions
- Making a difference to people in need
- Varied work where no day is the same